Confidential legal advice and assistance tailored to the needs of Parish and Town Councils. A County Association will take legal advice on behalf of member Councils from solicitors dedicated to the law on local councils at the National Association of Local Councils, NALC.
Advice and Guidance
Confidential guidance on correct procedure in Councils, employment matters, and changes in legislation affecting local councils. Support is particularly important to Parish and Town Council Clerks who are often working alone. A number of useful Good Practice Notes provided by solicitors at NALC, and Legal Topic Notes are available in the members’ area of the website.
- Dedicated HR consultant with a knowledge of local councils
- Qualified independent planning consultant
- Experienced Clerk providing a Mentoring Service for New Clerks and On the Ground Procedural, and Financial Advice.
Rights and Interests of Member Councils
- At national level, The National Association is the representative body of Parish and Town Councils with Government and has been instrumental in raising the profile of our sector.
- At regional level, WALC is recognised by the remaining regional Government offices, alongside other neighbouring Associations in the West Midlands.
- At local level, WALC is recognised as the representative body in the local area.
Contact with Other Local Councils
WALC has a network of Area Meetings, which provide an opportunity for sharing problems and experiences. Officers from other tiers of authority are invited to speak on topical issues.
Quality Status and the Power of General Competence
Guidance on Achieving Quality Status and making use of the Power of General Competence is available.
Financial Advice and Consent to Take Out Loans
Councils may seek guidance on the preparation of budgets, audit process VAT, financial risk management, regulations, reserves etc. Applications to obtain consent to take out Loans are made through WALC.
The membership fee is based on the number of electors in the Parish as at the end of March 2023.
|Band||No of electors||NALC Fee||WALC Fee||Total Fee|