Willoughby is in Rugby Borough
Willoughby Parish Council is seeking to appoint a suitably qualified and experienced Parish Clerk to undertake the management and financial duties that keep the Council efficient and operational.
Candidates must be well organised, dynamic and happy to work alone to prioritise their activities in support of elected Councillors.
Candidates should have good secretarial and administrative skills and strong numerical and financial acumen.
Willoughby is a small parish with 5 Councillors in Rugby Borough. Although the volume of work generated is relatively small, it covers a wide range of subjects which require flexibility and a broad base of knowledge to allow
candidates to be able to manage their work effectively. The Council has recently had some changes in Councillors and is working on a plan of progressive improvements for the village. It is also embarking on becoming a Quality Council.
- Part-time (hours by negotiation). Permanent role.
- Salary: Negotiable depending upon experience and hours.
- NJC Scale LC1 scale points 7 to 21 (£10.44 to £11.53 per hour).
- Meetings, Policies & Procedures: Support meetings of the Council. Tasks include preparing agendas, attending meetings, taking minutes, advising Councillors on procedural and legal matters and progressing actions, as well as keeping policies and procedures under constant review.
- Managing the Council’s finances: Act as the Council’s Responsible Financial Officer. Tasks include contract administration, payments, income collection, banking, VAT reclaim, budgeting, financial monitoring and reporting, final accounts, internal and external audit liaison. Previous experience in accounts is a requirement of the role.
- Managing the Council’s assets: Ensure the Highways, Footpaths, Playing Field, Village Allotments, Haywards Lodge nature area and the Village Pond, verges and open areas are maintained by liaising with the relevant Councillors.
- Planning Applications: Ensure planning applications are circulated to Councillors, meetings are convened and submit agreed responses to the planning authorities as required.
- Administration: Handle all correspondence, draft public notices and undertake all necessary administration.
Candidates should demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the duties of a Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer. CiLCA qualification is preferred.
Strong oral and written communication skills are required and proficiency in Microsoft Office is necessary. Tact, diplomacy and good interpersonal skills are key as the Clerk is often the point of contact for the Parish Council and its public face through contacts with parishioners, suppliers and other agencies.
Please contact Mike Thomas, Chair, Willoughby Parish Council by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone to 07970 886413 for more details and a discussion on the position.