Castle Bromwich is in Solihull District
Castle Bromwich are seeking an enthusiastic individual to join the Council which has been undergoing a period of reorganisation. The group of 15 councillors is keen to move forward and develop its community facilities.
They are looking to appoint a Parish Clerk to also work as our Responsible Finance Officer (RFO) and help take the Council forward in this exciting period of change.
37 hours per week with extra hours by arrangement. The hours are to be worked to suit the right candidate, with an expectation of core hours between 10am – 4pm Mon - Fri. There will be regular evening work and some weekends for which time off in lieu will be given.
The annual salary lies within LC3 range, SCP 33 – 36 ie £35,934 and £38,813, and is dependent on experience and qualifications. There will be a review of the position following the first six months in post.
Start Date: As soon as possible...
Following are some of the responsibilities of the Clerk:
The Clerk to the Council/Parish Clerk will be the Proper Officer of the Council and as such is under a statutory duty to carry out all the functions, and in particular to serve or issue all the notifications, required by law of a local authority's Proper Officer.
The Clerk will be totally responsible for ensuring the instructions of the Council in connection with its function as a Local Authority are carried out.
The Clerk is expected to advise the Council on, and assist in the formation of, overall policies to be followed in respect of the Authority's activities and in particular to produce all the information required for making effective decisions and to implement constructively all decisions.
The person appointed will be accountable to the Council for the effective management of all its resources and will report to them as and when required.
The Clerk will be the Responsible Financial Officer and responsible for all financial records of the Council and the careful administration of its finances.
To have or work towards the achievement of the status of being a CiLCA (or equivalent) qualified clerk as a minimum requirement for effectiveness in the position of clerk to the council.
The full job description will be provided upon request.
AS a minimum the successful candidate will:
- Have knowledge of working within the Local Council sector
- Be IT literate in Microsoft Word, Excel, finance software (EdgeIT), website management using wordpress and cloud-based file sharing (Microshade)
- Be willing to undertake the in-house induction training programme
- Have the ability to direct Councillors on procedural matters
- Have experience of staff management
- Have experience of meetings administration.
How to Apply
Contact the Parish Council office via email to to request the application form, person specification and related information, or access via the council’s website: www.castlebromwichpc.gov.uk
Or post to: The Acting Clerk, Castle Bromwich Parish Council Arden Hall, Water Orton Road, Castle Bromwich, Solihull B36 9PB
Closing date for Applications: 31st July 2020
- The job holder will be employed under the terms and conditions of the NALC model contract of Employment
- Other staff members consist of Assistant Clerk (currently the Acting Clerk), Hall Manager, Caretaker, Cleaner, 5 Park/Mobile Wardens
- Parish Council meetings are held either in the Arden Hall, The Pavilion Building or on Zoom (during the current pandemic).
- All meetings may be recorded
- The Clerk is expected to work on a daily basis at Arden Hall, but during the coronavirus pandemic all office-based staff are required to work from home using the council’s online file sharing system.
- Castle Bromwich Parish Council is an equal opportunities employer.
- All applications will be treated in accordance with the council’s policies on General Data Protection Regulation and Privacy.