Avon Dassett is in Stratford-on-Avon District
Avon Dassett Parish Council are looking to appoint a suitably qualified and experienced Parish Clerk to act as the administrative focal point for the Council, undertaking the management and financial duties that keep the Council operational. Candidates must be well organised, dynamic and happy to work alone to prioritise their activities in support of elected Councillors. Candidates should exhibit good organisational, secretarial and administrative skills and strong numerical and financial acumen.
Avon Dassett is a relatively small parish with approx. 163 electors and 5 Councillors. The budget is approx. £15,500. Although the volume of work generated is relatively small, the extent is broad across a wide range of subjects which require flexibility and a broad base of knowledge to allow candidates to be able to manage their work effectively.
Like many Councils, Avon Dassett is undergoing change and has recently agreed to reduce the number of meetings to seven a year with additional planning meetings as and when required. At the same time there is an active programme of projects that the Council is aiming to launch and complete for the benefit of the community.
Part-time (hours by negotiation). Permanent role.
Salary: Negotiable depending upon experience and hours. NJC Scale LC1 or 2 scale points 5 to 21 (£10.04 to £13.74 per hour).
Key Areas -
- Meetings, Policies & Procedures - support meetings of the Council. Tasks include preparing agendas, attending meetings, taking minutes, advising Councillors on procedural and legal matters and progressing actions. Keep Policies and procedures under constant review.
- Manage the Council’s finances – act as the Councils finance officer. Tasks include contract administration, payments, income collection, banking, VAT reclaim, budgeting, financial monitoring and reporting, final accounts, internal and external audit liaison. Excel is currently used for financial accounting. Previous experience in accounts is a requirement of the role.
- Managing the Council’s assets – assets include the Reading Room, Playground and village cemetery. Tasks include ensuring that assets are properly managed and all cemetery activities including maintenance and internments are managed in accordance with legal requirements. Liaise with volunteer Cemetery Warden
- Planning Applications - ensure planning applications are circulated to Councillors, meetings convened and submit agreed responses to the planning authorities as required.
- Administration – Handle all correspondence, draft public notices and undertake all necessary administration.
Candidates should demonstrate a thorough knowledge of duties of a Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer. CiLCA qualification is preferred. Strong oral and written communication skills are required and proficiency in Microsoft Office is necessary.
Tact, diplomacy and good interpersonal skills are key as the Clerk is often the point of contact for the Parish Council and its public face through contacts with parishioners, suppliers and other agencies.
Please contact Trevor Gill, Chair, Avon Dassett Parish Council by email to email@example.com or by phone to 07775 762927 for more details and a detailed job description.