What Do They Do for Local Councils?
The Monitoring Officer has a range of functions relating to the conduct of councillors. These include the arrangement of local investigations into Member conduct at both District and Parish level, and the provision of advice to District and Parish Councillors on the Members' Code, and the establishment and maintenance of the Register of Members' Interests.
The full list for Warwickshire and the West Midlands is provided below. Clerks should contact their Monitoring Officer in the event of:
- Reporting a casual vacancy.
- Having too few Councillors to be quorate. The MO should appoint someone(s) to fill enough vacancies to be quorate until such time as local co-options are completed.
- Alleged breaches of Code of Conduct,
- New councillors needing to submit DPIs (Declarations of Pecuniary Interest) within 28 days.
- Other councillors needing to submit DPI updates if their circumstances change (e.g. address, employment).
- Requesting a Community Governance Review
Warwick District Council