WALC has partnered with Breakthrough Communications to offer a wide range of courses to empower Councils to engage effectively with their community.
Breakthrough sessions must be booked direct with Breakthrough, not WALC. For course details and to make bookings please visit this link - County Association Training Events - Breakthrough Communications (breakthroughcomms.co.uk)
Each course costs £30 plus VAT per person for Members (£60 plus VAT for non-members), please choose 'WALC' as your County Association when booking.
Available course titles include:
Council Communications and Community Engagement
- Communicating with your community Part 1: Creating a communications strategy
- Communicating with your community Part 2: Creating a communications strategy
- How to recruit and retain more diverse pool of local councillors
- How councils can more effectively engage with young people in their communities
- Dealing with local and regional media
- Crisis communications for local councils
Social Media and Digital Communications
- Social media for councils: Getting started using Facebook, creating an effective social media strategy and getting the fundamentals right
- Social media for councils: Advanced strategies and tactics across multiple platforms
- Councillors: Social media skills
Data Protection and Freedom of Information
- Data Protection for councils Part 1: Foundations and theory
- Data protection for councils Part 2: Accountability and lawfulness
- Data protection for councils Part 3: Dealing with data subject rights and information security
- Freedom of information for councils
- Councillors: Data protection training
- Dealing with difficult people and conversations
- Councillors: Chairing meetings effectively
Councils will be invoiced by WALC at £30 plus VAT per delegate, per course.