Councillor & Clerk Induction - part 2
Saturday 7 July 2018
Curdworth Village Hall
Coleshill Road, Curdworth, B76 9HH
9.30 am - 1.00 pm
registration from 9.00 am
This session is aimed at both Clerks and Councillors. While it is logical that Part One is taken before this session it is not essential as there is no overlap between the two courses
This session concentrates on FINANCE, PLANNING, COMMUNITY relationships and will cover -
- Preparing a business strategy
- Setting a Budget,
- Influences and pressures on the precept
- Managing resources
- Three elements of audit, and the Councillors roles
- The Transparency Code for the different size councils.
- Grants available for the smaller Councils to help with transparency.
- The role of Internal Checker
- The Independent Auditor, appointment and responsibilities
- The new Audit regime for 2017 – 18
- An overview of the planning process
- Working with the community, volunteer involvement and obtaining a remit for projects.
The session will be led by Kim Bedford
Kim has over 10 years’ experience in the local council sector, initially as a council clerk, a councillor and County Officer for Gloucestershire, where she developed and instigated advice and training for councillors and clerks. Seeing numerous changes, she has incorporated many new ideas and details into her courses to enable her attendees to ‘hit the ground running’ with enthusiasm and knowledge.
Attendance at this event will accrue 1.5 CPD points
£30.00 per delegate for Member Councils
£60.00 per delegate for non-member councils
these fees are low compared with other county associations and training providers
Help with Delegate’s Fees – WALC will subsidise member councils
- Member councils with a budgeted income up to £15,000 will get half price for all delegates
- Member councils with a budgeted income between £15,001 & £30,000 can send two for the price of one
- Member councils with a budgeted income between £30,001 & £50,000 can send three for the price of two
- Member councils with a budgeted income over £50,000 can send five for the price of four
PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE THE AGREEMENT OF YOUR COUNCIL TO PAY THE COURSE FEE